Bomb Blasts at Toll Gate in Muse

Bomb Blasts at Toll Gate in Muse
Photo Credit to Muse Youth.
Photo Credit to Muse Youth.

NANG SENG NOM — A bomb went off at a toll gate in Muse town at around 8:30 p.m. on Monday in northern Shan State, on the China border.

An eyewitness told SHAN that just before the explosion, two unidentified men came to the scene by motorbike and threw a black bag toward a fee collection counter at the toll gate. The man working at the counter immediately fled.

“The toll gate was closed because there were not many trucks at that time,” the witness said.

A government staff member, who spoke to SHAN on the condition of anonymity, said that the toll gate had been damaged, but no one was injured in the blast.

“They wore face mask and face cover. It’s difficult to say who they are, but we are investigating CCTV records,” the staff member said.

Locals in Muse pointed out that other bomb blasts have recently occurred in the town, and that they are afraid of such incidents becoming more frequent.

“Now is the COVID-19 control period, so people do not go out as usual. But we are afraid of both bomb explosions and the virus even though we do not go out of our houses. We have been living on alert,” Sai Mao, who lives in Muse, told SHAN.

A view of Friendship Bridge No. 1.
August 21, 2026
Junta immigration officials stationed at Friendship Bridge No. 1—the primary border crossing...
August 20, 2026
Myanmar junta forces stationed in Ywangan Township, southern Shan State, opened fire on a group...
August 18, 2026
Troops from the Ta'ang National Liberation Army (TNLA), an ethnic armed organization in Myanmar...
August 17, 2026
Authorities in Myanmar’s autonomous Wa Region have ordered the temporary closure of Christian...