Karen State Chief Minister's Convoy Ambushed near Kawkareik

Karen State Chief Minister's Convoy Ambushed near Kawkareik

The Junta-appointed Chief Minister’s  convoy was ambushed by the Karen National Liberation Army (KNLA) using landmines as it left Kawkareik on April 30, frontline sources said.

Chief Minister Saw Myint Oo was ambushed by the KNLA while returning with his convoy from Kawkareik, where he had been assessing the situation following the Junta's re-capture of the town

"The Chief Minister Saw Myint Oo's convoy arrived in Kawkareik via the Nabu-Htilon route, but as it returned, it faced ambushes at two locations. Some escort vehicles at the front of the convoy were damaged, and the occupants fled. The ambushes occurred near Myapataing and Naunghtetpan villages, potentially resulting in casualties, although no official statement has been released”, a source told KIC.

A Karen resident with ties to the Junta noted that the coup regime's authorities concealed the incident.

"Landmines were used in the ambush, narrowly missing direct hits, yet five vehicles from the convoy were struck by bullets in subsequent shootings, prompting a swift departure. The Junta commanded officials to conceal the incident and threatened repercussions for any leak”, the source said.

Currently, the Junta is executing 'Operation Aung Zayya,' a large-scale military counteroffensive to regain control of Myawaddy Township bordering Thailand. This has led to intense fighting along both the old Kawkareik Road and the new Asia Road.

February 19, 2026
The Greater Mekong Subregion Breath Council (GMS Breath Council) has been established to...
February 19, 2026
The Thai Immigration Department permits only those holding a border pass to cross the Myawaddy–...
February 13, 2026
Around 4,000 people displaced by fighting in Wawlay, Minletpan, and Hpalu villages in Myawaddy...
February 9, 2026
The district-level Kawthoolei Women's Dialogue issued a statement calling for greater...