OHCHR warns rights abuses in Myanmar increasing

OHCHR warns rights abuses in Myanmar increasing

The United Nations’ rights office OHCHR is warning that Myanmar’s human rights situation is deepening on an unprecedented scale.

In a recent statement, the OHCHR said that it was “appalled by the alarming escalation of grave human rights abuses” in the country, according to a report in UN News.

“In the last week alone, security forces have killed and burned to death 11 people, among them five minors, and rammed vehicles into protesters exercising their fundamental right to peaceful assembly,” said Spokesperson Rupert Colville at a news briefing in Geneva.

He noted that serious violations are “reported daily of the rights to life, liberty and security of person, the prohibition against torture, the right to a fair trial, and freedom of expression.”

The report comes in the wake of a shocking incident in Done Taw village in Salingyi township, Sagaing Region in which Myanmar soldiers allegedly burned alive 11 captured villagers.

The incident appears to have sent shock waves around the world, with countries such as the USA and the United Nations expressing their serious concern over the incident.

According to the report, the UN Human Rights Office has received multiple reports of villages being burned, including protected structures, such as places of religious worship and residential buildings.

More news from Mizzima
February 16, 2026
Myitkyina Airport, a vital transportation hub in Kachin State, was the target of a morning FPV (...
February 14, 2026
In a message marking the 79th anniversary of Union Day on 12 February 2026, military leader...
February 13, 2026
According to figures released by the Myanmar junta, 26 of the 57 political parties that...
Displaced women from war-torn Khin Oo Township, Sagaing Region, seen in August 2023.
February 12, 2026
At least 55 women, including two who were pregnant and four under the age of 18, were killed in...