The junta reportedly demanded the withdrawal of the Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) from four towns under its control in northern Shan State.
The junta applied this pressure during talks between junta and TNLA delegations in Kunming, China, on May 12 and 13, which China brokered.
Eleven meetings have occurred between the junta and the TNLA since 'Operation 1027' began in late 2023, when the TNLA, collaborating with two ethnic armed organizations, launched an offensive against the junta. In the most recent meeting in Kunming, China, the junta demanded that TNLA troops withdraw from Namtu, Namhkam, Monglon and Mongngawt towns.
“We heard that in the latest meeting, the junta demanded the withdrawal of TNLA troops from Namtu, Namhkam, Monglon and Mongngawt towns. This suggests it is only willing to accept TNLA-controlled areas as defined under the 2008 Constitution. The junta also set a one-month deadline for the withdrawal. This comes as the junta leader invited ethnic armed organizations to hold peace talks within 100 days, so we will have to wait and see what unfolds,” said a political and military analyst from Shan State.
A junta delegation led by Lieutenant General Ko Ko Oo and senior TNLA leaders attended the latest meeting in Kunming.
Similarly, in April, junta and TNLA representatives held talks at the Two Elephants Hotel in Lashio City, northern Shan State. Following the meeting, the TNLA transferred more than 100 prisoners of war (PoWs) captured during the fighting to junta officials in Kyaukme in early May.
Neither side has released information regarding the recent meeting between the junta and the TNLA in China, and Shan Herald is continuing to investigate the content of the talks.
“In the town, life is continuing as normal, with TNLA troops still present and the administrative system still functioning. However, plans to open a new bank are currently on hold,” said a Namhkam resident.
The 9th meeting between the junta and the TNLA since ‘Operation 1027’ was held in Kunming on October 27 and 28 last year. During the talks, the two sides reached a ceasefire agreement, under which the TNLA agreed to withdraw from Mogok in Mandalay Region and Momeik (Mongmit) in northern Shan State.






