International Rescue Committee’s Aid Program Nears Its End, Risking Further Reductions in Health Staff

International Rescue Committee’s Aid Program Nears Its End, Risking Further Reductions in Health Staff

The International Rescue Committee (IRC), which has been providing humanitarian assistance to refugee camps along the Thai-Myanmar border, will end its operations on July 31. As a result, the number of healthcare workers in two Karenni refugee camps along the border may be further reduced, according to Naw Khu Phaw, Director of the Karenni Health Department (KnHD).

The IRC, which had been operating with funding from international organizations, faced a suspension of funds due to an executive order by former U.S. President Donald Trump.

Consequently, healthcare services previously provided in Karenni Refugee Camps No. 1 and No. 2, as well as other camps along the Thai-Myanmar border, are expected to cease.

“If this aid cut becomes certain after July, it is clear that we will have to reduce staff further. There won’t be anyone who is able to provide such large-scale assistance anymore. Now, we are focusing only on life-saving services. Among those, we will only keep the most essential ones,” Naw Khu Phaw explained.

For the past 30 years, the IRC has been the main supporter of healthcare services in the Karenni refugee camps No. 1 and No. 2, located along the Thai-Karenni border.

On January 28, President Trump ordered a 90-day suspension of international aid. Although the suspension period has passed, no changes have occurred since.

When the order was first implemented, the number of health workers was reduced from around 200 to around 100 to continue providing basic services. While a few of the laid-off workers have found new jobs, the majority remain unemployed.

Despite the IRC’s complete exit, Naw Khu Phaw said efforts will be made to continue healthcare services through support from Thai authorities.

“They (donors) won’t just disappear once the program ends. They will connect us with the authorities, especially with the Thai government and Thai hospitals,” she said.

Meetings are planned for this week with Mae Hong Son authorities regarding Camp 1, and with Khun Yuam authorities for Camp 2.

It is reported that there are approximately 150,00 people living in the Karenni refugee camps No. 1 and No. 2.

February 19, 2026
Since last week, cases of diarrhea have been occurring in an internally displaced persons (IDPs...
February 18, 2026
Local residents, including internally displaced children, in the eastern part of Hpruso Township...
February 17, 2026
The military junta, through its state-owned newspapers accompanied by photo records taken inside...
February 10, 2026
Internally displaced people (IDPs) in Saw Pa Htan camp, who replanted rice and corn near Demoso...