Terrorism charges against editor should be dropped - CPJ

Terrorism charges against editor should be dropped - CPJ

Myanmar authorities should drop the terrorism charges against editor Khaing Mrat Kyaw and stop threatening journalists covering the Arakan Army, the Committee to Protect Journalists said in a statement on 13 May.

On March 31, authorities at the Sittwe No. 1 Police Station, in Rakhine state, filed terrorism charges against Khaing Mrat Kyaw, chief editor of the independent Narinjara News website, over an interview his outlet published with Arakan Army spokesman Khaing Thu Ka earlier that month, according to the journalist, who spoke to CPJ via email.

Also on March 31, police raided Narinjara News’ Sittwe office and temporarily detained three staff members for questioning, Khaing Mrat Kyaw told CPJ. Afterwards, the journalist went into hiding, and has not disclosed his location since, he said.

If convicted, Khaing Mrat Kyaw faces a potential fine and 10 years to life in prison for damaging the security of the public under Article 50(a), and up to seven years in prison for “knowingly participating in a terrorist group” under Article 52(a), according to the Counter-Terrorism Law.

More news from Mizzima
May 18, 2026
More than 800 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have crossed into Mizoram, India, amid...
May 16, 2026
Military junta forces carried out approximately 15 airstrikes on Mindat and Kanpetlet in...
May 15, 2026
The military junta’s Ministry of Information officially revoked the publishing licenses of...
May 14, 2026
Residents in northern Shan State are increasingly concerned about a potential spike in commodity...