Myanmar military drops 100 bombs on villages in Sagaing’s Kalay, prompting exodus

Myanmar military drops 100 bombs on villages in Sagaing’s Kalay, prompting exodus

The Myanmar military carried out intense aerial bombardments over two days in southern Kalay Township, Sagaing Region, dropping more than 100 bombs from Y-12 aircraft and forcing villagers to flee, according to local sources.

On 12 February, between 1 pm and 2 pm, 39 bombs were dropped, followed by 55 more around 5 pm. The attacks continued the next day, with 33 bombs dropped between 10 am and 11 am.

“All villagers were running away in fear,” said Daw Yati Ohn, a teacher with the Mobile Medical Team–West Division, which provides healthcare in Kalay District.

While those who could afford to flee sought refuge in other areas, many remained in makeshift bomb shelters.

“They are constantly firing. We have stayed in the shelters all the time, day and night,” a resident said.

Although there were no immediate reports of casualties, several buildings sustained damage, according to a member of the Kalay Township Administration.

Daw Yati Ohn warned that the ongoing airstrikes, coupled with colder-than-usual weather, pose serious health risks to displaced children and the elderly, many of whom have taken shelter in nearby forests.

The airstrikes came after revolutionary forces launched an attack on a military camp along the Kalay-Gangaw road on 11 February, leading to ongoing clashes. However, locals claim the air raids targeted civilian areas rather than conflict zones.

“Most of the airstrikes are hitting civilians. If I had to list the affected villages, I would have to say almost all have been attacked. They are bombing everywhere indiscriminately,” Daw Yati Ohn said.

As a result of the airstrikes, approximately 4,000 residents have fled from at least 10 villages, including Tinthar, Kokko, Hmantaw, Kanpane, Shartaw, Doenwe, Harkharlay, and Kyawywar.

The Myanmar military previously carried out airstrikes on an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp in Kokko village on 31 January and in Tinthar village on 2 February, killing nine people including four children and injuring several others.

More news from Mizzima
February 16, 2026
Myitkyina Airport, a vital transportation hub in Kachin State, was the target of a morning FPV (...
February 14, 2026
In a message marking the 79th anniversary of Union Day on 12 February 2026, military leader...
February 13, 2026
According to figures released by the Myanmar junta, 26 of the 57 political parties that...
Displaced women from war-torn Khin Oo Township, Sagaing Region, seen in August 2023.
February 12, 2026
At least 55 women, including two who were pregnant and four under the age of 18, were killed in...