Mon Unity Party Stops Campaigning During COVID-19 Outbreak

Mon Unity Party Stops Campaigning During COVID-19 Outbreak

The Mon Unity Party (MUP) has instructed its candidates to stop campaigning last Sunday (September 20) after coronavirus transmissions accelerated across the country.

"We have to consider the safety of our people therefore we stopped our election campaign," said Min Aung Mon, joint secretary of the MUP campaign committee.

MUP headquarters ordered all party offices and electoral candidates to follow health guidelines set by the government’s Ministry of Health and Sports (MoHS) when erecting political signs and banners.

"Our central committee plans to launch an online election campaign," Min Banyar San, head of the information department for the campaign committee, told NMG. "We will post information on our election candidates and their roles on social media, as well as our party's policy."

Last week, the Pa-O National Organization (PNO) and candidates contesting the election independently also stopped campaigning in person in Mon State. Khun Aung Myo Thein, a PNO electoral candidate, said they will also focus on using social media to promote their party during the election.

MUP is fielding 65 candidates, who are contesting seats in Mon and Karen states, and in Taninthari, Yangon and Bago regions. There are 35 candidates contesting Mon State and 30 contesting the other areas.

May 19, 2026
The junta carried out a series of airstrikes in Mindat Town in Chin State and Shwebo Township in...
May 15, 2026
Residents and civil society organizations in Kachin State have jointly called for the complete...
May 12, 2026
A junta column operating in eastern Hpruso Township in Karenni State set fire to an internally...
May 11, 2026
Amid intensified airstrikes and ongoing military conflict across Myanmar, the junta has begun...