KIO Commemoration Called Off Due to Burma Army Attack

KIO Commemoration Called Off Due to Burma Army Attack

KIA parade in its de fecto capital Laiza, Kachin State, northern Burma

The Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) could not hold an event to commemorate the 59th anniversary of its founding due to a Burma Army attack on the northern Shan State village where the proceedings were to take place.

The KIO had planned to hold the event in Bang Gaw village in Namtu Township on October 25. The area is located in territory controlled by the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 8 under Brigade 4.

“The Burma Army attacked the village where the KIA planned to hold its anniversary celebration with heavy weapons, so the KIA could not hold it. All of the villagers have fled,” a source based in Laiza, the KIA headquarters, told KNG.

According to villagers, the Burma Army attacked the village with artillery on October 23.

The KIO was formed by Kachin university students in Lashio, northern Shan State, on October 25, 1960.

In his opening speech at another 59th anniversary commemoration, KIO chairperson Gen N’Ban La said that his organization had been in negotiations with the Burma Army regarding a possible bilateral ceasefire agreement and the return of displaced communities to their homes.

May 18, 2026
In Machanbaw Town in Putao District, Kachin State, excessive gold mining has led to a shortage...
May 12, 2026
Led by junta-appointed Kachin State Chief Minister U Khat Htein Nan, the so-called support...
May 8, 2026
Locals reported that the junta columns currently operating in Katha Township, Sagaing Region,...
May 6, 2026
Locals are urging authorities to investigate the steep rise in flight prices to Myitkyina, the...