Junta torches seven Wetlet Township villages

Junta torches seven Wetlet Township villages

Within a week, seven villages in the western part of Wetlet Township, Sagaing Region, where junta troops had carried out a large-scale offensive, were set ablaze.

The junta's military operations, which had been halted for about a year in the western part of Wetlet Township, an area that had become a resistance stronghold, have recently resumed, prompting tens of thousands of residents to flee, according to the Wetlet Informational Network (WIN).

More than 400 junta troops stationed in Sadaung and Shwebo towns in Sagaing Region formed two military columns and began advancing into the western part of Wetlet Township.

The two columns burned Tamarkone, Ywartawkon, Tadaru, and Htonebo villages on November 4. On November 5, they raided Mugyi Village and the houses of displaced people, and on November 6, they attacked Myintaw Village, setting it ablaze.

“The resistance forces tried to attack the junta’s base in Ywarthargyi Village but didn’t succeed. After that, the junta called in reinforcements and carried out attacks, possibly in retaliation,” a local suggested.

In the second week of October, some resistance groups jointly attacked junta troops in Ywarthargyi Village, Wetlet Township, but the junta fiercely repelled them, even using airstrikes. After the fighting subsided, the junta sent reinforcements to its troops in Ywarthargyi using Mi-17 helicopters.

Locals reported that the western areas of Wetlet Township are under the influence of resistance groups.

“The junta hasn’t launched a ground offensive around here for almost a year. These recent operations are the first we’ve seen this year. The resistance forces here are so strong that the junta troops have mostly been stuck in their bases,” a western Wetlet resident told NMG.

The current attacks by the two junta columns have forced residents of about 20 villages in the region to flee for safety.

The junta has announced that it will hold its own elections in phases by the end of this year, with 102 townships slated for Phase 1, including 12 in Sagaing Region.

Some political and military analysts have said that the junta’s resumption of military operations in western Wetlet Township may be aimed at securing full territorial control in the townships scheduled for elections.

WIN has warned residents in the western part of Wetlet Township to stay alert for junta airstrikes and to be prepared for emergencies.

February 16, 2026
The skies over northern Myanmar are bleak, shrouded not only by the winter cold but also by the...
February 11, 2026
The junta-aligned Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) won a majority of seats in the...
February 10, 2026
Both displaced people and aid organizations hope that the US government’s 121 million USD in...
February 9, 2026
Dr. Sein Win, nephew of Myanmar independence architect General Aung San, cousin of democracy...