Myanmar junta assault on southern Budalin Township displaces 5,000 civilians

Myanmar junta assault on southern Budalin Township displaces 5,000 civilians

A military column advancing through southern Budalin Township has arrested 15 local residents and triggered a mass displacement, forcing an estimated 5,000 civilians to flee their homes.

A local resident said the military column, consisting of around 70 troops from the Northwestern Regional Command, began entering Budalin Township on 15 May, before arresting local residents on 16 and 17 May.

“Women are among those detained, and so far, we have not heard of anyone being released,” a resident of Budalin Township said.

In addition, the military column has been carrying out suicide drone attacks, forcing residents from seven villages to flee their homes.

“The displaced people are taking refuge in nearby villages because there are no forests or mountains where they can hide. As the days pass, they are struggling to secure food and shelter,” said a local resident displaced by the fighting.

Located near the Northwestern Regional Command headquarters, Budalin Township has faced frequent airstrikes and artillery attacks, prompting many residents to rely on walkie-talkies to share information. Locals said the military has tortured civilians found in possession of the devices.

The military has been reinforcing its presence in Budalin by deploying troops to government offices and administrative facilities, while also stationing forces throughout the town and along the Monywa-Budalin road in an effort to tighten control over the area.

“The military regime’s forces have long been unable to operate freely in Budalin. Under the new commander-in-chief, they are now attempting to reassert control. Apart from the town itself, most surrounding areas remain under the control of revolutionary forces,” a local resident said.

Amid the ongoing situation, residents are also fleeing fighting in the neighbouring townships of Kani Township, Yinmarbin Township, and Salingyi Township, where the junta has been advancing with large numbers of troops. 

More news from Mizzima
May 20, 2026
Nearly 6,500 residents have been forced to flee their homes in southern Pauk Township, Magway...
May 19, 2026
A heavily armed military column comprising roughly 350 troops has occupied strategic locations...
May 18, 2026
More than 800 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have crossed into Mizoram, India, amid...
May 16, 2026
Military junta forces carried out approximately 15 airstrikes on Mindat and Kanpetlet in...