Shan armed groups burn drugs to mark UN narcotics day

Two ethnic Shan armies, the Restoration Council of Shan State/Shan State Army (RCSS/SSA) and the Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army (SSPP/SSA), held separate ceremonies on Monday to mark the UN’s International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.

Release journalists immediately: AI

The Myanmar authorities must immediately release three journalists, who were detained while carrying out their work in conflict-afflicted northern Shan State, Amnesty International said today.

Mon State issues over 3,400 household member lists to migrant workers

Over 3,400 household member lists have been issued to some 10,000 migrant workers residing in Mon State since the new government took office last year, according to Mon State’s Department of Labour, Immigration and Population.

Chief officer of Mon State’s Department of Labour, Immigration and Population U Shein Win said this number seemed to show that "not many migrant workers are coming here”.

Migrant workers who have lived in Mon State for six months to three years were reportedly issued with household member lists if they could prove they were on the census list and could provide a recommendation letter from a ward administrator.

A list of migrant households was collected between May and October 2016. Among 11,993 households on the list, 8,691 households were long-term migrant households and 3,302 households were temporary migrant households.

As part of a 100-day project after the new government took office, the Mon State government issued temporary household member lists to migrants who lived in Mon State for six to eight months and household member lists to migrants who had resided in the state for over five years, without needing any documents from their place of origin.

But the process has not been without problems. Last June, some civil society organizations submitted a letter asking the Mon State Chief Minister review the issue as they feared a surge in migrant workers.

Protest against Section 66(d) has been cancelled

The protest and signature collection event that journalists planned to hold in front of the Yangon Division Military Headquarters to call for the termination of Section 66(d) of the Telecommunications Law has been cancelled.

The Voice chief editor U Kyaw Min Swe’s bail request rejected again

The Voice daily newspaper chief editor U Kyaw Min Swe, who is being prosecuted under the Telecommunications Law section 66(d), has had a bail request rejected for a third time by Bahan Township Court.

The Voice newspaper’s legal advisor Khin Maung Myint said that they applied to transfer the case to the Western District Court due to the unfair decision of the Bahan Township Court.

“We believe that Bahan Township Court would not be able to adjudicate fairly and correctly, that’s why U Kyaw Min Swe signed to apply for a transfer to another court. But the court rejected this,” said Legal Advisor Khin Maung Myint.

The plaintiff Lieutenant Colonel Lin Tun attended the court hearing today at Bahan Township Court.

The Voice daily newspapers chief editor Kyaw Min Swe and the parodist British Ko Ko Maung were sued by Lieutenant Colonel Lin Tun for publishing a satire called “Kyi Htaung Su Thit Sar”on March 26 which he claimed to lower the reputation of the military. Both were prosecuted under the Telecommunications Law section 66(d).

Khin Maung Myint told the media that they will apply for bail again at the next appointment at the court on June 20 and they will again request the case be transferred to the Western District Court.

The parodist Ko Kyaw Zwa Naing – aka British Ko Ko Maung- was released with the remarks from the Ministry of Transport and Communications which stated that he wrote the satire only in the published paper but chief editor Kyaw Min Swe is still under prosecution.

Muse residents demand that people’s militia return pier

Residents of Muse Township in Shan State have objected to Myoma People’s Militia building a tollbooth at their local pier.

Residents protested against the construction of tents and other paraphernalia at the pier on June 21.

S.H.A.N understands that Myoma People’s Militia won control of the pier in questionable circumstances during a recent auction process.

"The local villagers have been running this pier for 70 or 80 years. They built these roads. Now, the armed group has come to control the pier and collect fares,” explained resident of Man Nawng Village Sai Swal.

The group tried to collect money on the pier back in April but were met with a protest of some 300 local villagers.
Leader of Myoma People’s Militia Sai Sam said “we have officially won the auction to run this pier".

He said the group had met with residents and officials to offer 40 percent of the profit but "they didn’t accept it".

“We also discussed a joint venture and splitting up the profit in a village fund. But we were unable to reach an agreement."

"Actually, we were supposed to start our work in April. We are still unable to start after three months,” he continued.

The jetty is mainly used for trading between Muse and Manhero but local residents also use it to work on nearby farms.

Local residents have been participating in auctions for many years to operate the jetty before Myoma People’s Militia won.

"We don’t know how much we will have to pay now that the pier is controlled by the people’s militia. We won’t be able to travel easily like before. That’s why we want them to return the pier back to the public,” said resident of Nawnghkio Village Sai Non.

Mon State gov't to change location of affordable housing project

Mon State government has announced it will change the location of a Mawlamyine Township affordable housing project due to problems with road access and readiness for construction at the original site.

Mon State’s Minister of Planning, Finance, Immigration and Population U Wunna Kyaw told the Mon State Hluttaw on June 21 that the project will be relocated from Min Ywa Village to Kyar Inn Village.

But the project will now be built on just over 21 acres of land as opposed to the original 44 acres of land.

“We will try to build it as fast as possible since the Hluttaw has set down a decision for the relocation," U Wunna Kyaw said.

"This project will be built from the 2017-2018 fiscal year budget so we will try to finish it within the fiscal year.”

State Hluttaw MP from Paung Constituency 1 U Tun Min Aung said “it’s good that the government wants to change the location due to the land condition [of the original site]".

The Mon State Hluttaw enacted a law to allocate five billion kyat for the Min Ywar Village affordable housing project in March.

According to U Wunna Kyaw, this is the first time Mon State will use state budget funds to build affordable housing.

Subscribe to this RSS feed